Saturday, June 11, 2011

What a contrast!

If I remember, it was on the 15th of May 2011, I landed in a ST bus from Narmada chokdi for Baroda to meet my sister and brother to see them personally and to have some interactions with them as it happens when we meet. Of course, it certainly gives me lot of happiness and joy when I meet my people, what to say if it happens to be after a long spell. Since I am now retired, time is not a constraint for me.

I started from Bharuch at about 10.-am . Of course, I had to wait at the bus stand for about an hour. That is nothing new when we have to avail the public transport systems in our country. I got into a Gujarat ST bus which was coming from Surat towards Idar( I guess Idar is a place somewhere in Mehasana Dist). There were a few passengers who also got into the bus from the point I got in. The conductor was a an young man around thirty five, I guess, with fair complexion and with a neatly trimmed beard. His smiling face when at his job has rather surprised me as it is a very rare phenomenon. In fact, I have hardly come across such a man in public service doing his duty with a smiling face especially when it was hot summer and in a crowded bus. I gave a hundred rupee note for the fare. He asked me very politely with a closed smile whether I can give him change.I said no as I did not have it. Some other passengers also gave hundred rupee note and in all the cases he had to give back the balance. With a pleasing smile he was murmuring himself and thinking ways to accommodate every one. Somehow, he was managing from here and there and returned the balance respectively to every one. There was no expression of grudge on his face instead a sense of satisfaction was evident on his face. He was doing his duty with a pleasant face and with a music in very mild tune. His courtesy impressed me. Even when the passengers were getting out at their destinations, he did not miss to give a small smile to each and every passenger. I do not know anything further about him but his face certainly stuck to my mind. Service with smile that is what he does. I am sure, he is a satisfied man in his job. I wish him good luck.

The experience on the next day while returning was just the other way. My brother dropped me at the Railway station. I always prefer to travel by train wherever possible. I came to the Baroda Station and enquired for the next available train. I was told that the next train available for Bharuch is at 11.-am. I went to the ticket counter to buy a ticket for Bharuch. One madam, may be at her middle age, was issuing ticket at that counter. There were a few passengers ahead of me for buying tickets. The madam at the counter appeared to be so arrogant and uncaring and busy talking to her colleague nearby. Her expression would feel one think that the passengers on the queue are just bothering her, conveniently forgetting that she is paid for issuing tickets promptly . I have noticed that when a woman, seemingly with no schooling, asked her for timing of some train, the madam just stared at her. I knew she must be feeling what the hell this woman is asking and , don't her know that there is an enquiry counter? The way she was just printing the tickets throwing at the passengers and the way she grumbled at passengers whom she had to return balance amount etc. made me to remember the previous day's bus conductor. I simply wished ' let God save this country'. I am sure, the madam at the railway counter may be more educated, better paid than the conductor and the working conditions are also far more better than that of the bus conductor though there was a wide gulf between them in their attitude towards their jobs.


Two service providers - what a contrast !!







Published on 13th June 2011.

1 comment:

  1. beautifully written...what a contrast indeed...such experiences, through their contrasts or in some cases make us really think :) and your article, brings out an event beautifully, an event most people might have been through but never expressed or shared...loved it..please keep writing and please do so more often :)

    ReplyDelete