Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Meeting an old time friend

My very recent visit to home town in Kerala was to attend the marriage of my youngest of the nieces Sindhu who is also important for me as she is the youngest daughter of my youngest sister. It was a comparatively long stay in Kerala this time. During the engagement day, I happened to know from a common friend that one of my old time friends who was not only my class mate in my college during degree course,but also a co-traveler for 3 years in the crowded private buses from Puthoor to Sasthamcotta, is sick and frequently undergoing dialysis for his kidney ailment. Though during many of my earlier visits to Kerala, I thought of meeting him, I could not make it. If I remember correctly, our last meeting was about 32 years ago. When I knew he is sick, I made up my mind that I will for sure, meet him before I leave Kerala. Probably on the 20th of September, I met him at his residence. I got the exact location of his house from one of his brothers, who is running a whole-sale foot wear business at Pothoor. In-fact, his brother called an auto-rickshaw and asked him to drop me at his brother’s place. We were meeting after more than three decades. I recognized him immediately but it took him a few minutes to recognize me. Of course, there could be a lot of changes that might have happened to both of us in 32 years. He was pleasantly surprised when I called him ‘Varghese’ and told him I am Baby. His official name is Geevarghese Daniel and known as Raju in his home and nearby. We sat down and talked and in half an hour time we reiterated our college life of 3 years and also remembered and talked about many of our class mates and some events happened those days which were worth remembering. During the talk, he told me that he is retired as a Dy. Director from one of Kerala Govt. departments. He also told me that since some time he has become the victim of a very serious illness and undergoing dialysis after every 5 days. He looked gloomy and I was saddened to hear the news from him though I had prior knowledge of it. I have added his name also in my daily prayer list; the only thing I can do for a dear friend. We had tea together and after half an hour I said bye and wished him speedy recovery.

My friend Mr. Geevarghese Daniel is a down to earth man. I know that he is from a very wealthy family in Puthoor. His father late K.Daniel was the Greatest General Merchant in Puthoor. Mr. Varghese, though he was from a rich family, his life style from the student days has been so simple. The reason for my liking him was, as a boy he never had thickness in his head and he mingled with each and every one of us which was just contrary to certain other boys from rich families who hardly bothered to consider less privileged students as human beings. We were best friends in our college days,sitting close and passing comments some times etc.etc. His family had a motor car on those days when hardly there were only two cars in Puthoor.At the age of 19 years, he knew driving when I had seen a car only from outside and thought that revolving the steering speedly will increase the speed of the vehicle. I had never thought on those days that I will drive a car one day. Man proposes God disposes. He too believes that money and material possessions are not the be all and end all of human life.

May God give him strength in his difficult days.

Posted on 09th October 2011.

1 comment:

  1. brilliant piece...there is such simplicity in your words and expressions dad..they come across as so genuine and pure. I wish I could write like you. I mean it. I'm so proud of you :)

    Keep writing. And write more often!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete